Your teeth are vulnerable to nicks, chips, stains, and strains. To protect your teeth from damage and injury, take these precautions:
- Always brush your teeth after eating.
- Don’t chew ice, pens, or pencils.
- Don’t use your teeth to open paper clips or otherwise function as tools.
- If you smoke a pipe, don’t bite down on the stem.
- If you grind your teeth at night, ask your dentist if you should be fitted for a bite plate to prevent tooth grinding.
- If you play contact sports lke football or hockey, wear a protective mouth guard.
- Always wear seat belt when riding a car.
- Avoid sucking on lemons or chewing aspirin or vitamin C tablets. The acis wears away tooth enamel.
Used with permission from A Year of Health Hints by Don R Powell, PHD and the American Institute for Preventive Medicine, copyright 2010. www.healthylife.com