Last week, we enumerated the Don’ts when lifting objects. Now let’s discuss the Dos:
- Wear good support shoes, not sandals or high heels.
- Plant your feet squarely and stand close to the object you plan to lift.
- Bend at the knees and assume a crouching position,
- Keep your back as sraight as possible.
- Pull in your abdominal muscles and tuck in your buttocks.
- Rely on the leg muscles to bear the weight.
- Hold the object very close to your body.
- Keep your knees bent as you lift.
- Lift slowly and gradually.
- Get help if the object is too heavy or large for one person to handle.
- Consider using a dolly or other device to move a heavy object.
Used with permission from A Year of Health Hints by Don R Powell, PHD and the American Institute for Preventive Medicine, copyright 2010. www.healthylife.com