(continued from last week)
Medications can increase the dopamine level in the brain. But other natural treatments can also be done to make the person with Parkinson's more comfortable:
- Warm baths and massages can help prevent muscle rigidity.
- Take care to maintain a safe home environment.
- Simplify tasks.
- Include high-fiber foods in the diet to add bulk and drink lots of fluids to prevent constipation.
- Get expert physical therapy.
- Remain as active as possible.
- Get professional help to relieve depression, if necessary.
Used with permission from A Year of Health Hints by Don R Powell, PHD and the American Institute for Preventive Medicine, copyright 2010. www.healthylife.com