It's another new year. Let this be a stress-free year for everyone!
Sometimes stress is subtle. But very often, stress practically hits you in the face. When that happens, practice these easy techniques:
- Get some physical exercise. A quick walk around the block frees your mind from what’s bugging you, gets your blood circulating, and boosts energy levels.
- Take a warm bath or shower, which tends to relax tense muscles and calm the nerves.
- Talk over your troubles with a friend, relative, or professional counsellor – it can sometimes help you to see a problem more clearly or help you think of practical solutions.
- Count to ten when you’re so upset you want to scream. It buys you time, so you can reflect on what’s bothering you and calm down.
- Pour yourself a cup of warm herbal tea. Sip it slowly and savor its soothing warmth and aroma.
Used with permission from A Year of Health Hints by Don R Powell, PHD and the American Institute for Preventive Medicine, copyright 2010. www.healthylife.com