Every New Year, people make resolutions to exercise regularly, eat healthy foods, quit smoking and other bad habits. According to Harvard Nurses’ Health Study, following these basic resolutions can cut heart disease risk by 80 percent, diabetes risk by 90 percent and cancer risk by 50 percent.
Here are some health tips for the New Year:
1. Aim for at least 30 minutes brisk walking. Walk or ride a bike to work or simply have at least 30 minutes of physical exercise everyday.
2. Drink more water. Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday. Nothing beats water to cleanse our body and feel refreshed.
3. Sleep 8 hours a day. According to the National Sleep Foundation, we need around 7 to 9 hours of sleep everyday to be able to function well. Adequate sleep makes you feel better, decreases risk for cardiovascular disease, and boosts memory.
4. Keep sugar and caffeine to a minimum. We all know that too much caffeine and sugar is bad to our health. Lessen your coffee and cut back on sweets.
5. Budget your food as you do your money. According to Nancy Clark, a registered dietician, author and sports nutritionist, watch your calorie intake. A rough guideline for daily caloric intake: Multiply your ideal body weight by 10 (i.e., 1,200 calories if you want to weigh 120 pounds) and then add another 600 calories if you're moderately active, a few hundred more if you're very active. Divide those calories out across the day to keep yourself well fed and not feel hungry in the evening.
6. If you smoke, quit. Everyone knows that smoking is bad for your health. Lessen your cigarettes per day or quit cold turkey.
7. Consider acupuncture or therapeutic massage for your back or neck pains.
8. Cut back on alcohol. Drinking in excess affects the brain’s neurotransmitters and can increase the risk of depression and memory loss, adds risk of liver and heart disease, hypertension, stroke, and mental deterioration, and even cancers of the mouth, throat, liver, and breast.
9. Cut your stress. Organize your daily activities and schedule. Worrying gives you stress; so just do your best in everything you do and not worry about the results.
10. Lastly, plan a trip somewhere. Traveling makes you feel rejuvenated and revitalized. It’s also a good way of learning and it’s healthy for the body and soul.
Have a Happy and Healthful New Year!